Leading the way to climate solutions that matter
We envision a world with a safe climate that meets the needs of people and wildlife well into the future. People are connected to the natural world, understand its complexity, and make decisions based on the best science to maintain the integrity of natural systems. Communities and decision-makers routinely take action that moves human and natural communities toward wholeness.
Who We Are
The Geos Institute is a team of scientists, facilitators, and process innovators who believe that the global climate crisis will push humanity to make a collective decision – move toward greater cohesion and peace or widespread violence and conflict.
We do not have all of the answers, but we lean hard toward peace and cohesion. And we do that by working on the systems where we believe our focus can have the greatest impact on people and the natural world – community decision making, forest management, and river system restoration.
Our team works hard to create a future where we have successfully and collaboratively addressed the systemic causes of climate change to bring about a healthy and prosperous world for people and wildlife.
The science is clear. The climate is changing rapidly and in dangerous ways. And human activity is the primary cause.
- Systems Approach: We work to create change that will perpetuate itself over time by addressing issues from a systems perspective.
- Science-Based: We believe rigorous, peer-reviewed scientific information is critical in the effort to create effective policy and solutions to climate change and land use.
- Nature Matters: We believe natural systems, fish, and wildlife have intrinsic value.
- People Matter: We link the vitality of ecosystems to the needs of people, understanding that implicit bias exists in our society on a number of issues, and working to ensure that the solutions we develop are fair and move the cultural practice of equity forward.
- Solution Oriented: We develop and advance solutions to the important climate change related issues of our time by working with a diverse set of allies.
- Results Driven: We work to improve all aspects of the organization andmeasure our progress by the real world change that results from our work.
- Honest and Accountable: We believe in the power of honesty and accountability and put these values into practice by upholding them in our science and policy work.
You can also find our public 990s here for 2017 and 2018.